“For visitors who arrive by plane, Capo Gallo with its cliffs and the profile to sharp edges, marks the separation between land and sea, with clean lines and sharp. For those coming from the sea it is the sentinel of the western Gulf of Palermo “(S. Riggio, Raimondo FM).
This position justifies the many historic settlements of the site, important for maritime traffic and control from possible incursions by sea. Cavities existing encouraged human settlement since prehistoric times, and some of them have preserved archaeological and paleontological (Di Stefano and Mannino 1983).
The presence of numerous towers located along the coast, bears witness to the function stronghold taken over the centuries from the whole area. During the period when the pirates were making their raids throughout the Mediterranean, was erected Dammuso Gallo or Tower Amari (dating back to the first half of the sixteenth century), in addition to the existing towers. This also served to the sighting of enemy ships that were marked with fireworks to other sites lookout for the protection of the coast and the city of Palermo.
On the islet of Island of the Females “Isola delle Femmine” they are visible, in addition to the guard tower with a square layout traces of tanks Punic-Roman earthenware used in the work of garum (food made from fermented entrails of tuna and other fish, mixed with herbs, oil and vinegar).
Another important artifact is the light house of Capo Gallo, active since 1885, under the reign of Ferdinand I.
As regards the names coexist different thesis: according to Vito Amico (Di Marzo in 1855), “Gallo” Lat. Gallus Sic. Gaddu; Gal has, in the opinion of Cascino, the Punic meaning “down the mountain”, donde Montello, later translated Mondello, while about Vincenzo Di Giovanni in “Palermo Restored” is claimed to be so-called “for the shape of the rock rooster presented to sailors by high seas “; other references less learned would eventually derive its name from the major presence of partridges (Coturnix or quail), now disappeared in the site, which, in Sicily called gaddi or Gaddini.
The name of “Isola delle Femmine”, on the other hand, also known as “Island off”, take origin from Eufemio, Byzantine governor of Messina, then crippled by Phemius in “Fimi”, giving birth to the Sicilian “Fimmini”.